Wicker Baskets

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Confession:  I'm a basket hoarder!
And I blame my mother.  In the 80's my family lived in the Philippines and my mom had an entire storage room dedicated to her basket obsession ~ that clearly made an impression on my young mind.  Don't they say history repeats itself?  But in all seriousness, I have taken a huge page out of my mom's playbook!  She has such a great design eye and has always used baskets to warm up a space while also providing functional storage to a room.  
Want to see more of my mom's style?  Follow her here!  
Now back to my situation.  The photo above isn't even the half of it!  I had planned to bring all of them onto the front porch until I started receiving judgmental looks from my neighbors.  I'm sure they were thinking "she has that many baskets in that house?!" (think one of those tiny circus cars where the clowns keep coming out and you're not sure how they all fit).  But they do all fit and amazingly provide so much needed storage in a house with minimal closet space.  Under beds, on top of armoires and on shelves,
these baskets help keep us organized.
All of the baskets pictured, have been collected over time from thrift stores and flea markets.  With a keen eye and a little patience you can typically find these at a bargain.  When buying second hand or vintage baskets, be sure to check the condition and strength of the handles and bottom weave.  Also try to stick to a monochromatic color palette ~ this way you can style baskets to coordinate vs clashing & drawing negative attention to a space. Don't pass up a basket just because it has a little dust & grime.  A simple bath in warm water can typically clean it right up. 
Alright, now it's your turn to confess ~ no judgement I promise!
Are you a basket hoarder or what objects can you not pass up?

Like always thanks for stopping by!!

5 comments :

  1. Oh Michelle, I am a serious basket hoarder, too! My friend just came back from doing Peace Corps in Ghana and added to my collection with multiple Bolgatanga baskets. Mine have colors in them, but they're all a similar color story and style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meagan ~ basket hoarders unite! I bet the ones you have are AWESOME! and what a great story behind them! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. I would love to be a basket hoarder, and I think I will once we move to a bigger house. One house we looked at while "house shopping" had a million Longaberger baskets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful collection you have! It is amazing how some of the vintage baskets clean up.

    We have a lovely range of handmade baskets from Indonesia and the Philippines.

    ReplyDelete

07 08 09 10
Pin It button on image hover