DIY Magnolia Wreath

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

This time of year I love love love making Magnolia Wreaths.  When we purchased this home, we also inherited a huge, old, Magnolia Tree in the front yard.  I've always been a fan of these festive holiday wreaths, but the ones made with real greenery can cost a pretty penny.  So after experimenting a bit, I've figured out the best way for us to DIY our own!  And every year since, we've displayed one of these on our front porch.  Case in point, here's the first Magnolia Wreath I made 3 years ago:
 These are super simple to make, a bit time consuming, but considering they only cost the amount of a wreath form, it's well worth an afternoon!  I prefer using Styrofoam Wreath Forms, they're typically only one use, but I like not having to use floral wire.  Quick Note:  Be sure to display this wreath either indoors or hidden from the elements outside.  Heavy rains or wind can blow the leaves out of the styrofoam, I've displayed mine under a covered porch and have had no problems with this wreath staying in tact.  For this particular wreath I used a round 17 inch form ~ this makes a large wreath appox. 33-36 inches in diameter, depending on the size of leaves used.  I've made smaller ones using a 10 inch frame ~ this size works great indoors.
 Once you have your frame, find something to prop it up on.  A planter typically works great, in my case this Lowe's bucket was perfect size as the lip held my wreath up.
From there, you'll need your magnolia leaves.  We typically prune our Magnolia Tree a bit, so I use the leaves from the cut branches.  TIP: When cutting your leaves, cut at a diagonal, this creates a sharp point that easily pushes into the styrofoam.  
 Then I organize the leaves from largest (longest and widest) to smallest.  Staring with the largest leaves, begin inserting leaves individually at a slight angle.  Adding additional leaves clockwise around the form.  For my first tier, I start near the bottom, leaving space between each leaf: 
 Now that you're done with the first tier, move up a level and start the process again.  Moving clockwise, place leaves centered to the tier below and also start alternating some leaves backwards, showing the underside of the leaf (this will help create texture and color variation to your wreath): 
 Once your first two tiers are completed continue the process moving up the form while at the same time starting to use slightly smaller leaves. 
 Once you make your way to the front of the form, keep downsizing your leaf size and start inserting each tier at a slightly more defined angle. 
Before you know it, you'll have a completed wreath!
 

Wishing you all a very festive Thanksgiving Week!!


5 comments :

  1. Love this! Now for a magnolia... = )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm making one right now.. yours is beautiful... thanks for the great directions...

    ReplyDelete
  3. IM GOING TO TRY THIS

    ReplyDelete
  4. I copied this - it turned out awesome! thanks for the tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete

07 08 09 10
Pin It button on image hover